Job Title: Regulatory Compliance Engineer
Location: Bethesda, Maryland
Cube Hydro Partners invests in, develops, modernizes and operates hydroelectric facilities, and provides consulting services related to project management, regulatory compliance, and development of clean energy resources, with a focus on hydroelectric power.
Cube Hydro owns and operates a portfolio of 19 hydroelectric assets in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States with a total installed capacity of 374 megawatts.
Cube Hydro is hiring a Regulatory Compliance Engineer to support its Compliance Team. The Compliance Engineer will assist with the execution and optimization of the Company’s Hydro License Compliance and Dam Safety Program. The position will be based out of Cube Hydro’s Bethesda, Maryland Offices and will report to the Chief Compliance Officer.
- Prepare letters, plans and reports related to dam safety, water quality, recreation, endangered species and other project specific issues for submission to regulatory agencies.
- Review and analyze scientific and engineering data including river flow, water quality, hydro operations, and dam safety instrumentation and monitoring, and prepare reports.
- Conduct site inspections and work closely with hydroelectric plant management to ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Research site specific compliance and operations issues and prepare summary memos and recommendations.
- Prepare Requests for Proposals (RFPs), review vendor proposals, and schedule and oversee engineering and environmental consultants and subcontractors.
- Conduct regulatory compliance and dam safety due diligence reviews of potential acquisition projects.
- Support compliance tracking and reporting in a Company Information Management System.
- Support agency/stakeholder communications, consultations, and meetings.
- Prepare permit applications where required by federal, state, or local environmental regulatory authorities for project-related work.
- Prepare resource management, environmental, or public safety plans.
The ideal candidate should have a strong interest in renewable energy and environmental issues, a willingness to work in an entrepreneurial environment and an interest in gaining experience working with governmental agencies and managing regulatory compliance issues. The following specific qualifications are desired:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience working with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast including the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), and state departments of environmental quality and resource protection in NY, PA, MD, VA, and NC
- Knowledge of key hydropower and natural resource regulations including the Federal Power Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Sections 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act, Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act, Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Strong writing, research and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with other staff, regulatory agencies, and project stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to travel to project facilities (up to 30% of time)
- Ability to work onsite at Cube’s hydroelectric facilities in a safe and responsible manner
- Civil engineering, environmental consulting or electric generation industry experience is a plus
- CAD, GIS or other data analysis/mapping experience is a plus
- Self-directed and able to work independently and as part of a team
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.